When you are going to update your resume, it can be hard to know how to start? Or how to to write a CV or resume? What experiences and accomplishments should you on the resume? One, two or multiple page?
Here are some guideline for you. Here we have given 15 tips to develop a great resume.
1. Use professional email address: Using a professional Email address is obvious during writing a resume. A professional Email name may be created with a combination of applicant name & numeric number (as most of the cases name is not found available).
- Name: Sabrina Talukdar
- Professional Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Unprofessional Email: email@example.com
It is also suggested to keep Email address as short as possible.
2. Use updated contact information: Using correct & updated mobile number, Email address, and address. If you use a backdated contact information, employer may not be able to reach you. Experience show that someone are using multiple/ optional contact number & Email address. Here, we will also suggest to use single contact number & Email address.
3. Use professional Front: Always use a professional front. The front may be Calibri, Arial, Georgia, Helvetica etc. or some other front which are good looking for office use. Do no use from which are complex to read. Front size should be between 10-12.
Be consistent with your choices during using bold, caps, and italics. If you’ve made one of your subheadings bold – make them all bold. Try not to overuse anything.
4. Use reverse-chronological order: Please maintain this one. Reverse-chronological means starting with latest one then go to backdated one serial by serial.
- For Job Experience, put your current job first.
- For Education, put your highest degree first.
5. Career Objective/ Resume Profile: You may write Career Objective as well as you can avoid. Experienced professional can replace career objective by Resume Profile.
6. Education & Experience: Here one question comes frequently which should write first?
Education or experience?
Definitely write experience first.
7. Write Achievements: In your experience/ extracurricular activities mention only your achievements not the responsibility. No one is interested with your responsibility as it is now open secret. But achievements really add value on what are you doing.
8.Use Action Verbs: Use action verb or action Words while writing your achievements.
9. Align your content to the left: The content should be left aligned.
9. Photograph: If you are making your resume for Bangladesh or Indian subcontinent, you are recommended to attach a photograph with the resume. The photograph should be professional may be passport photo. Do not include your full photo/ selfie.
But if are going to send your resume to USA or any other western country be sure not to attach your photograph.
10. Include your Social Media profiles, personal Website/ blog: Include your LinkedIn profile Link to your resume. If you have any personal website/ blog then use on your website.
11. Other content: If you are a fresher then, include your social work/ volunteer experience/ extracurricular activities. Experienced may ignore this but be sure to include your skills.
Fresher’s are recommended to include your language skills where experienced candidate can ignore if they wish. But if you are speaking third/ forth/ more language (other than native & english), then you must include your language skill irrespective of fresher or experienced.
Experienced are recommended to include your professional competency & skills. Include if you are expert on any software.
Don’t miss include your Professional certification.
12. Check Spelling & Grammar: Ensure no error on Spelling & Grammar. If you are not competent enough, take help from your well-wishers.
13.Resume Size: A resume must be within 2 pages. Professionals with experience more than 10 years may add 1 extra page. Fresher’s are recommended to complete their resume by 1 page or 1 and half page max.
14. Sharing: Share your resume on pdf format. No word file to be shared. File Name should be professional.
Correct Resume Name Example
- Sabrina Talukdar Resume
- Resume_ Sabrina Talukdar
Incorrect Resume Name Example
- My Resume
- Sabrina updated resume
- Resume for XXX Company
- Latest Resume_ Correct Resume Name Example
15. Constantly Refresh You Resume: Don’t forget to refresh your resume time to time. You might not change your job or you might not gain any education but with time you will get some achievements. So, refreshing resume on every 3 months is very important.
At last we can recommend t Include only the most relevant information and put the most important information first.